Keflavik fills lost capacity with new flights

Keflavík, isavia, airport, iceland, germany, berlin, capacity, 2018, new routes, icelandair

Keflavík International Airport

Icelandair steps in to ensure Iceland’s visitors keep flowing

Iceland’s Keflavik Airport is developing its connections with Germany with the launch of flights to Berlin Tegel, courtesy of the country’s main carrier Icelandair.

Despite the recent loss of Air Berlin from its airline roll call, Keflavik is experiencing what it calls “an immediate reaction to fill lost capacity” with the new three times weekly service to the German capital.

As the fast-growing Icelandic airport’s third-biggest country market behind the UK and the US, Germany has almost 6,400 weekly seats on offer to Keflavik, which is already linked to Berlin Schönefeld as well as Frankfurt, Munich and Hamburg.

Filling the gap left by the loss of Air Berlin’s capacity, Icelandair’s latest operation joins its existing daily flights to Frankfurt and Munich and twice-weekly route to Hamburg. Iceland’s low-cost carrier WOW Air also flies daily to Frankfurt and Berlin Schönefeld, so Icelandic carriers now have almost 95% of all scheduled seats from Keflavik to Germany. The remaining 5% are operated by Lufthansa from Frankfurt.

“Today’s launch is a very clear signal that we’re committed to ensure our passengers continue to experience optimum choice and feel no effect of recent losses,” declared Hlynur Sigurdsson, Keflavik Airport’s commercial director.

“We worked quickly with Icelandair to fill the gap in one of our strongest country markets, and alongside our other closely held airline partners, we’re ardent in our approach to meet demand.”

Scheduled for 2018

Using its fleet of 183-seat 757-200s on the Berlin Tegel service, the 2,400-kilometre route makes this Icelandair’s 32nd destination from Keflavik.

Keflavik saw more than 6.8 million passengers in 2016. It currently serves 112 destinations on scheduled flights to 30 countries. Airport operator Isavia forecasts a 28.3% rise in passenger numbers this year, reaching 8.75 million. This percentage rise alone is equivalent to the total number of passengers using the airport in 2010.

And the stats will keep rising. Due to launch in 2018 are:
Wizz Air three times weekly to Poznan, 31 March
WOW Air four times weekly to Detroit, 25 April
WOW Air daily to London Stansted, 25 April
WOW Air four times weekly to Cleveland, 3 May
Icelandair six times weekly to Dublin, 8 May
WOW Air four times weekly to Cincinnati, 9 May
Icelandair four times weekly to Cleveland, 16 May
WOW Air four times weekly to St. Louis, 17 May
WOW Air three times weekly to Dallas/Fort Worth, 23 May
United Airlines daily to Newark, 23 May

Related stories

(Some) Nordic airports among world’s best

Akureyri to get two new winter routes

Nordics’ busiest airports ranked