Malaysia loses direct air link with Germany

Malaysia travel trade not too worried about loss
Malaysia will no longer have direct air connectivity with Germany from March 1, when Lufthansa suspends its Frankfurt-Kuala Lumpur service which it had been operating since 2004.
While a decline in tourism volume is to be expected from the lack of direct flights, industry experts in Malaysia contacted by TTG Asia believe the impact will not be huge.
“We did a check and found that only 18% of our guests travelled on Lufthansa,” Manfred Kurz, managing director of Diethelm Malaysia, said. “The other 82% came through a Middle Eastern airline. Thus, we don’t expect this news to have a big impact. Our partners have indicated that they will continue to sell Malaysia.”
Alex Lee, chief executive of Ping Anchorage Travel & Tours, foresees a slight drop in the high-end segment from Germany but expects volumes to be maintained among middle-class travellers and backpackers who are likely to fly with a Middle Eastern airline to get to Malaysia.
With no direct flights, Tourism Malaysia will have to leverage on the connectivity provided by other airlines, but is confident that the country’s natural wonders will still entice European tourists.
“Malaysia is considered a value-for-money destination for German tourists,” Azizan Noordin, Tourism Malaysia’s deputy director-general for international promotions, said. “There are many ecotourism products in Peninsular Malaysia and Borneo such as Royal Belum Rainforest, Danum Valley and Taman Negara National Park. Malaysia is also blessed with unique wildlife such as the orangutan and proboscis monkeys. These can be packaged together to offer unique ecotourism experiences that have high appeal for European travellers.”
TTG Asia

x

Check Also

Laudamotion, Ryanair, buy, M&A, airlines, Austria, aviation, business, option, EU

Laudamotion, Ryanair and Lufthansa in dispute over aircrafts

The Austrian based Laudamotion and 25 percent owned by Ryanair is arguing with German giant Lufthansa over aircrafts not delivered after Air Berlin bankruptcy.

Norwegian, Lufthansa, buy, interest, IAG

Lufthansa reveals interest in Norwegian

Talks have taken place between the two parties, the boss of Lufthansa Group claims.

Turkish Airlines, Skytrax, ratings, rejects, customer reviews, Lufthansa, 5 stars, 4 stars, metrics, promotion, corruption, airlines

Turkish Airlines pulls out of Skytrax audit

The airline “will only take evaluations based on direct passenger experience into consideration.”

Lufthansa, Swiss, Austrian, Brussels Airways, flights, fare, basic, economy, Light, transatlantic, USA, Canada, Scandinavia, cabin bag only, food

Nordic trial allows Lufthansa to go Light

Airlines in the Lufthansa Group are the latest to offer a new low fare to fight LCCs on North American routes.

Brussels airlines, strike, union, pilots, Eurowings, flights, cancel, May 2018

Strikes hit Brussels Airlines this week

The Lufthansa subsidiary admits that the strikes will cause “massive disruptions” for passengers.

Brussels Airlines, Lufthansa, Eurowings, merge, strike, pilots, low-cost, airlines, Europe, union

Reasons behind strike at Brussels Airlines

Pilots at the Lufthansa subsidiary are worried about their future as the group pushes Eurowings.