Social networks to fuel airlines’ loyalty programs

Airlines will begin to acknowledge recognition on social networks

Airline loyalty programs are not working as they should, consultant Shashank Nigam writes in SimpliFlying. More than 80% of people who have them never manage to earn enough miles for a flight, while most of the other 20% “fly so much that the last thing they want to do is step on another plane.” In an effort to boost loyalty, managers may resort to the growing power of social media.
A recent study found that there are already more airlines on Twitter than there are with frequent flyer programs, while 90% of frequent flyers use Facebook on a regular basis, with more than 65% of them giving at least one airline the public “Like” endorsement. This growth in two-way social media conversations rather than one-way ads means that recognition will be a feature of the future in addition to points and upgrades.
TravelMole

x

Check Also

Malaysia Airlines, Russia, MH17, accuse, law, court, process, investigation, Netherlands, Dutch, Australia, Ukraine, shot down, missile, brigade

MH17 tragedy: Russia formally accused

The international team investigating the downing of a Malaysia Airlines aircraft over Ukraine accuses Russia of responsibility.

GDS, Capa summit, meeting, Dublin, airlines, Ryanair, technology, disrupt, future

Will new tech disrupt traditional GDSs?

Both sides of the argument could be heard at the recent CAPA Airline CEO Summit in Dublin, with Travelport expressing the views of the GDSs.

Wizz Air, outlook, Ryanair, 2019, low-cost, airline, finance, profit, costs, A321, aircraft, type, Airbus, fleet, oil price, fuel, staff, unit costs

Wizz Air outlook “very positive”, unlike Ryanair

An increasingly high-cost environment is provoking differing views from Europe’s low-cost carriers about the coming year.

drone, terrorism, chance, aircraft, plane, attack, Isis, fighters, Europe, warning, IHS, Janes

Terrorists could use drones to attack planes

Drone incidents can occur anywhere up to 4,000 metres, and an expert warns that a deliberate attack is increasingly likely.

World Animal Protection, travel, Bali, Lombok, Indonesia, wild animals, captive, selfie, cruel, attractions, tourism, orangutans, elephants, tigers, dolphins, civet

Animal protection body exposes “Bali horror”

World Animal Protection says that wildlife tourist attractions in Bali and Lombok are “living hell for animals”.

Vietnam, tourism, overtourism, hotels, supply, oversupply, development, sustainable, Halong Bay, Danang, Phu Quoc

Hotel investors warn Vietnam about “crazy” growth

With a 43% rise in room keys, there are fears for the future in places like Halong Bay, Danang and Phu Quoc.