A revision of the UK’s travel advice says that all but the outer fringes of the country are now safe.
The tourist board, Discover Tunisia has warmly welcomed a revision of the UK’s Foreign and Commonwealth Office travel advice for the country, easing its warning on visiting the country.
Tunisia suffered a catastrophic decline in tourist numbers after June 2015’s devastating Sousse terror attack, in which 30 Britons were killed.
Since then, the UK has persistently urged caution when travelling to the north African country.
Charter flights were suspended but resumed this February with the return of Thomas Cook. Tui, which was taken to court in London for allegedly not telling its customers about the possible threats in Tunisia, has also since resumed flights.
The Foreign and Commonwealth Office now announces it no longer advises against all but essential travel to the town of Jendouba, around 200 kilometres from the capital Tunis. It has also revised down the threat level for some parts of southern Tunisia, including Medinine, Tataouine and Douz.
Tunisia’s main destinations on the eastern Mediterranean coast, such Sousse and Hammamet, carry only an FCO advisory notice reminding visitors to read its advice just before travelling.
Discover Tunisia praised the move, describing it as a “huge boost” for the country.
“The FCO has changed its travel advice by extending the green areas to travel around safely in Tunisia,” it said on Facebook. “This news represents a huge boost for Tunisia’s confidence as a reliable, safe destination for tourists.”
Regions to avoid
However, tourists are advised against all but essential travel to Tunisia’s Biq region (west of Ghardimaou), parts of the Chaambi Mountains National Park and also the area near the southernmost border with Libya.
Tunisia’s own state of emergency since a suicide attack on a police bus in November 2015 has been repeatedly extended, most recently in mid-March 12 for another seven months.